Read the followings chapters in
Strategic Management for Organizations:
- Chapter 1: Strategic Management
- Chapter 2: Leadership, governance, Values and Culture
- Banker, S. (2013, December 30). UPS holiday season fiasco: A failure of strategic planning. Forbes. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebanker/2013/12/30/ups-holiday-season-fiasco-a-failure-of-strategic-planning/
- My Strategic Plan. (n.d.). Vision Statements. Retrieved from http://mystrategicplan.com/resources/vision-statements/#Criteria.
- This resource provides a deeper understanding of mission statements and how they relate to strategic plans.
To participate in the following Discussion Forums, go to this week’s Discussion link in the left navigation:
Please post a brief introduction on the first day of class. Respond to at least three of your classmates’ introductions. Use this forum to get acquainted and for ongoing non-content related discussions.
Strategic Planning Process
In your own words, define strategic planning and explain why it is crucial to an organizationâ€™s survival. In your response, include a description of how strategic planning differs from strategic management. Lastly, explain how your current or previous organizationâ€™s strategy might influence its business model. Respond to at least two of your classmatesâ€™ posts. You must create one initial post and at least two responses, for a minimum of three posts for this discussion.
Problems with Strategic Planning
After reading the article â€œ
UPS holiday season fiasco: a failure of strategic planning,â€ describe where the problem was with UPSâ€™ and FedExâ€™s strategic planning. How did the fear of losing market share affect their strategic planning? What are potential solutions? Respond to at least two of your classmatesâ€™ posts.